I know I have said it before, but I am going to say it again now, and most definitely again in the future.
I am head over heels in love with Greenland!
I just visited this incredible country for the second time, and found that I loved it even more than I had the first time around – something I thought would be impossible.
Greenland is one of very few places left in the world that is still mostly untouched by modern travellers – but don’t expect it to stay that way. With tourism in previously non-touristy countries like Iceland and the Faroe Islands increasing massively each year, it won’t be long before intrepid travellers start looking for new lands to visit and explore.
A huge part of me wants to wrap the entire country up and keep it all to myself, but the bigger part of me just cannot stop talking about how incredible this often overlooked country really is. I have found myself becoming incredibly passionate about Greenland – more so than any other country I have ever visited – and have already started planning my third (and fourth) trips to this icy wonderland.
If I haven’t managed to convince you with words that you need to put Greenland on your bucket list, here are 25 pictures that I think will do it instead. Happy wandering!
1. The view from the statue of Hans Egede in Nuuk
2. View of icebergs from an Air Greenland flight
3. Greenland puppies running amok on the outskirts of Ilulissat
4. The Ilulissat Icefjord in Autumn
5. Kayaking at sunset in the Disko Bay
6. An igloo at the Hotel Arctic – the most northerly 4-star hotel in the world
7. View of massive icebergs from the Hotel Arctic
8. An iceberg casts a perfect reflection in the Disko Bay
9. An iceberg under the early morning sky
10. A bunch of Greenland puppies swarm one very happy traveller in the small settlement of Oqaatsut
11. Archie the Greenlandic puppy gives playful kisses in Oqaatsut
12. Incredibly jagged icebergs floating near Rodebay
13. The small settlement of Oqaatsut
14. Puppies play around in Sisimiut
15. A pack of Greenlandic dogs pull a sled through the mountains surrounding Sisimiut
16. The sun shines over Russell Glacier – even when the temperatures are below -30 degrees!
17. A recently calved piece of ice from Russell Glacier
18. The sun rises over Tomato Lake near Kangerlussuaq
19. The entrance to the Greenland Ice Cap
20. A snowmobile hangs out at the top of a mountain in Sisimiut
21. The sun sets over the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Ilulissat Icefjorden
22. The Ilulissat Icefjord in winter
23. Winter brings some truly massive icebergs – like these ones near Ilulissat
25. The Aurora dances over the outskirts of Ilulissat
If these pictures don’t make you want to visit Greenland – then I don’t know if anything will!
However, if my love of this country has been contagious and you are starting to get itchy feet – click here to find a tonne of articles with which to help you organise your dream Greenlandic adventure.